Family Picture 2010

Family Picture 2010
My World

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Stephanie Thurman Phillips

Steph went to be with the Lord tonight. A long battle with cancer sent her to be closer to Him. Steph will always be remembered. She was inspiring to so many. She was a daughter, granddaughter, wife, mother, coach, forever friend, teacher...the list is long! A legend. Steph was loved beyond her imagination and humbled by her cheerleaders as she battled the biggest opponent of her life. Steph inspired us all during her public battle. She leaned heavily on friends, family, and most importantly God. She taught and coached us all without even saying a word. Her pure determination to do everything within her being to beat this disease is admirable.

I will be forever grateful for what Steph has brought to my life. I have known Steph since junior high (through the Giddens family) and I have worked with her for the past 5 years. I was taken back one day in a conversation with Steph. We were discussing life, which, inevitably meant cancer, her reality at the time. She was talking about her chuch, River Bluff Fellowship and Pastor Scott. She said, and I quote, "I would do anything for that man (Pastor Scott)." Enough said. I knew how heavy with meaning those words were. Steph doesn't say that about just anyone. I knew he had to be special. I knew I had to meet him. We happened to be looking around at different churches at the time so we gave River Bluff a shot. Upon meeting Pastor Scott I could instantly feel what Steph was taking about. He is contagious. He makes you feel like the most important person in the world. His presence brings a sense of peace. He is now why we wake up on Sunday mornings and go to church. I will always, always be grateful to her for leading us to River Bluff Fellowship, Pastor Scott and ultimately, God. Thank you Steph!

No comments:

Post a Comment